“Not sure where to start when you are facing a personal problem that is getting in your way to live your life the way you want to live?”
Reaching out for help can be daunting especially if you don’t know what the best way is for you to ‘remove’ the obstacle that is blocking your way to feeling free and happy.
The fact that you are reading this means you have already taking a hugely positive step forward so be kind to yourself and give yourself as much time as you need to find out more about what is the best for you.
Choosing the right therapist can be challenging as there are so many therapists out there with all their own expertise and approaches. At times, I might as a therapist refer a client to another Cognitive Hypnotherapist or even another type of therapist that I am familiar with when I feel that the client would be better helped by a colleague.
So here a few tips to help you choose the best therapist
- A great deal of the success of therapy comes from the therapeutic relationship you have with the therapist. Choose someone that you feel who understands you and with whom you can freely talk without any borders, someone that you trust and makes you feel respected and feel comfortable with. Good rapport with your therapist is often the key to successful therapy.
- Start with having a good in depth chat with the therapist, either by phone or a face to face meeting. Ask as many as possible questions you want to have answered and importantly, ask them to tell you what it’s like to work with them. Like myself, a lot of therapists will often offer a free phone call or face to face consultation to help you to decide if I’m the right therapist for them.
- Although it might be daunting, do ask for recommendations from friends, family or colleagues, you are not the only person who is struggling, we are all fellow strugglers and someone near you that you trust might have had therapy too.
- Look for a Hypnotherapist who specialises in what you would like to work on if possible – for example anxiety, confidence, addictions, sexual related issues or weight loss.
- Be on guard about hypnotherapists that promise ‘quick miraculous’ results. Change often doesn’t happen overnight and can take time. For some clients, one session is just what they need and for others it takes a longer period. Please also note that with no form of therapy results are guaranteed.
- And when you have found the right therapist to work with, enjoy the journey to change!